Make The Marine your base for an unforgettable three days in the jewel of the South Africa’s Overberg, Hermanus.
It’s hard to beat The Marine’s spectacular seaside vistas; perched on Hermanus’ famous cliff path it overlooks the breath-taking Walker Bay. It offers the ultimate location for whale watching during whale season (June to December), often directly from the comfort of the sea view bedrooms.
Here is the perfect three-day vacation in Hermanus
Day One: Relax at The Marine and explore Hermanus
- Here, time is your own. Unwind in the luxury of your sea view room with a glass of wine in hand, while watching the waves of Walker Bay for whales.
- Book into the Carchele Beauty Spa for a range of relaxing treatments using local products and techniques.
- The Marine is ideally located to walk into town and enjoy all the coastal haven has to offer. Take a walk on the wild side and enjoy culture on the coast.
- Walk the Cliff Paths and go whale-watching; here are some tips for photographing whales
- Enjoy cocktails in The Sun Lounge, while watching the sunset over the Atlantic, always keeping an eye out for Southern Rights.
- Dine at the Origins at The Marine, for an exploration of Overberg ingredients in a relaxed contemporary setting.
Day Two: Take To The Sea
There are a number of ways to enjoy the splendour of Walker Bay, from boat charters to see the Southern Right Whales up close (the companies adhere to strict eco-friendly policies), or using your own paddle power for SUP and kayaking.
Marvel at the bay’s gentle giants with Southern Right Charters
Set off from the Old Harbour on a purpose-built catamaran. On board, a guide will interpret the marine life encountered and provide insight while the action is taking place. There is also a videographer to capture footage and will be available to guests after the trip. On the trip, you may encounter Bryde’s whales, dolphins, African penguins, seals and many types of sea birds.
For more eco-friendly charters, read here.
Up-close and paddling…
Get your blood pumping and fill your lungs with fresh sea air. Walker Bay Adventures offers a round trip, where you’ll start by paddling out in a kayak from the historical Old Harbour. A knowledgeable guide will lead and inform you of the wonders of Walker Bay, and its rich marine life. On these tours, you will enjoy sightings of Southern Rights (in season) Cape fur seals, penguins, cormorants and other sea birds and marine mammals.
Here are some other ideas to make the most of the sea.
Day Three: Adventure Awaits
South Africa’s Overberg is the ultimate natural arena for adventure lovers. Within its incredibly scenic borders expect a plethora of land-based activities such as mountain biking, trail running, fat bike tours, horse riding, hiking, abseiling, archery and more. Towering mountains, milkwood forests, sweeping canola fields and rugged coastlines all play the scenic backdrop for a thrilling coastal adventure.
We’ve collected some adventure ideas for you.
Still have some time to spare? Go and taste your way around the delectable Overberg region.