Executive Chef at The Plettenberg, Kaylinn Shabalala shares one of her favourite recipes with us, Carrot Cake. It is one of her favourites because it fills the house with such sweet and spiced scents.
RECIPE: Moist Carrot Cake
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until sabayon stage.
- Add oil and beat for 2 mins.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the egg mixture.
- Add the carrots, raisins, and walnut.
- Beat for a further 2 mins.
- Pour your mixture into a lined a round cake tin.
- Bake at 180 °C, for 55 mins.
- Test the centre with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cakes are done. If not, continue to bake until cooked through. Do not over-bake.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
Cream Cheese Frosting – Ingredients
- 230g plain cream cheese
- 1 fresh lemon
- 120g castor sugar
- 50g walnuts
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- Put the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice into a mixing bowl and whisk until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the topping on your cooled carrot cake.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest and walnuts on top.
Enjoy with family and friends.