Our Executive Chef Peter Tempelhoff recently prepared a special ‘Big Green Egg’ dish for the prestigious Fine Wine and Food Festival ‘Constantia Fresh’ at Buitenverwachting Estate. The Lacquered Pork Buns & Turnip Kimchi went down a treat with festival goers – and now you can recreate this explosion of flavours at home. Simply check out the recipe below and get cooking!
- 2 x packets yeast
- 8.5 cups “00” flour
- 12tbs sugar
- 6tbs milk powder
- 2tbsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cups vegetable oil
- Add all the ingredients into a mixer and knead for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Allow to prove for 1 hour.
- Weigh each portion into 20g balls.
- Allow to prove for another 20 minutes.
- Shape the balls to the desired shape and prove for another 20 minutes.
- Steam in a steaming oven or steam basket for 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before steaming.
- 1 x pork belly
- Vacuum Bag (for Sous vide)
- Vegetable Oil
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Big Green Egg grill
- Sous vide at 74 degrees in a vacuum pack bag with vegetable oil, garlic and thyme for 12 hours.
- Slice into strips 1 cm thick x 2cm x 4cm and glaze with teriyaki sauce.
- Grill on Big Green Egg until charred.
- Hold warm.
- 1kg Turnip, cut into julienne or grated
- 250g carrot, cut into julienne or grated
- 2 bunch spring onion, sliced
- 40g salt
- 100g Korean powder
- 50g water
- 20g sesame seeds, pasted
- 50g garlic
- 50g ginger
- 50ml fish sauce
- Combine salt, turnip and vegetables & marinate for 4 hours.
- Mix chilli, water, sesame seeds and fish sauce.
- Combine vegetables and chilli paste well.
- Pack in jars ensuring there is no air in the jars and seal.
- Ferment outside for 4 – 6 days, refrigerate.
- Warm buns in a steamer for 3 minutes.
- Place kimchi in bun then add Big Green Egg grilled pork, followed by mayonnaise (Kewpie), spring onions and coriander.
- Optional – spicy peanuts to finish.