Niall McKrill is Head Gardener at The Cellars-Hohenort. He takes great care of the green nine acres, which feature majestic horticulture, including; the second oldest camphor trees in South Africa, an enchanted forest, a vineyard, herb gardens, a putting green, a rose garden and so much more.
We caught up with Niall to find out what’s been happening in the garden this spring.
“Things change on an hourly basis in the garden in spring,” says Niall. “Here are some of the highlights.”
- The vines are waking up; and the first four rows of our vineyard are in bud already.
- We have had our first spring hatching of Egyptian Geese! The are six goslings in all, and they can be seen strolling about the estate on an almost daily basis now.
- Absolutely everything is starting to wake up—and the roses are blushing with growth.
- The garden team and I are currently busy with revamping of certain areas of areas and we will soon have a new dam on-site in the lower end of the garden.
- At the moment the blue bells are peaking and there are a dozen or so up and showing off!
Enjoy the gardens as your own while enjoying a stay at The Cellars-Hohenort. Alternatively, visitors can also book a garden tour with Niall.