Today here at The Collection by Liz McGrath we’re commemorating Nelson Mandela, and our teams across all our properties are honouring him with 67 minutes of service to others.
We’re also thinking back to what Mrs M said last year: “I have been privileged to meet Nelson Mandela on two occasions. So strong was his presence and his personality, that on each occasion it seemed that when he entered the room the light went on and when he left the light went out…” Read more here.
In honour of Mandela Day – Deanne Thompson from our Travel Desk shares five things celebrating the great man in Cape Town
“A truly remarkable man who will never be forgotten: Nelson Mandela still touches our daily lives in so many ways…”
1) Mandela’s Gold: a beautiful yellow Strelitzia created by Kirstenbosch Gardens in honour of Nelson Mandela and now found in many suburban gardens.
2) Nelson Mandela Boulevard: in a very basic sense it connects people; just like Madiba did in an extremely profound way.
3) Still watching over us: on the outside of The Civic Centre in the City Centre is a portrait of Madiba covering many floors.
4) Get your photo taken with some of history’s greats: Nobel Square at the V&A Waterfront has statues of our four Nobel Peace Prize Laureates, including of course Nelson Mandela.
5) His words are found in many public open places all around our city, and the integrity and wisdom of his quotations touch the soul of all who read them.
Where are your favourite places that honour Nelson Mandela in South Africa? Let us know in the comments.